Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Day of Surgery :0(

The day had arrived. The alarm went off at 3:30am......bzzzzz!
Logan wasn't allowed to have anything to eat after 4am and since the little guy LOVES his food we decided the best decision was to wake him and see if he would eat something. Luckily, he didn't take an afternoon nap the day before so he had gone to sleep for the night at 7pm.
We gave him a bottle of milk and tried to give him all his favorite breakfast foods....... pear, a breakfast bar, and toast.
He did eat a little, but as you can tell by the photo below, he wasn't quite sure why he was up soooooo early.
We all went back to sleep for a brief time but were back up at 6am. After dropping Ella off with Grammie and Papa, we headed to PCH. We had to be there at 10am. My stomach was in knots. I really wanted to run away and hide........no turning back.
Everyone loved our Logan and couldn't stop telling us how cute he was. They gave him a little koala bear to distract him while trying to weigh him and he was petrified of it......he shook and threw it, but then wanted to see it again.
After some vitals were taken and he was changed into a gown, we still had over an hour until surgery.......
Playing with a blood pressure cuff........
Thank goodness for the paci.....it kept him happy since he couldn't eat or drink.


At least one of us was still managing to smile :0)

Luckily, the pre-op area had a little playroom that kept Logan quite happy while we waited.

My favorite pic of that day.....so cute. Peek-a-boo
The time slowly ticked away, but soon it was close. The anesthesiologist had called me the night before and was aware that I wanted Logan to be 'happy' until he was asleep for surgery. Logan was given a big dose of Versed about 20 minutes prior to surgery. He should have been quite groggy, but was still pretty awake at surgery time. I was able to put on a 'bunny suit' and carry Logan to his OR. The anesthesiologist who was referred to us (Thanks Connie) was AMAZING! I handed Logan to him, which by this time he was quite sleepy, and he allowed me to hold Logan's hand while he rocked him and sang to him giving him the 'mask' to put him to sleep. Once Logan was asleep, I gave him a kiss on his head and told him how much I loved him. That was the moment I had been dreading more than any.......the 'leaving'. His surgeon was outside the room and gave me a big hug and walked me to the waiting room were Paul was. There was no doubt in my mind, Logan was in the best hands possible for his procedure.
Then came the waiting......
About an hour into the surgery, the nurse came out to let us know that everything was going well. It was about another hour and twenty minutes until the anesthesiologist came out to let us know that the operation was over and Logan was heading to recovery. He said he had done great. About 15 minutes after that, Logan's surgeon came out to tell us about the procedure and what he had done........ And then a few minutes later, we were back in recovery and my sweet boy was back in my arms.

Paul took this photo of his red glowing toe.....he was quite impressed with it.

It took a while for us to get our room........Logan was placed on the oncology floor because it is a 'clean' area where kids aren't infectious. I felt horrible because his roommate was a teenage boy with cancer.......I am sure not wanting a 'baby' to share his room. Luckily, they got us a bed which allowed me to lie next to Logan. He finally relaxed once we got him settled in his bed. He was puffy from all the IV fluids, but rested comfortably with a little help from the Morphine. He had his IV in his right foot, a drain stitched near his incision and taped to his tummy, and his catheter which was taped to his right thigh. Amazingly, he left these alone......
We were able to get a little sleep.....
Glad the day was over and praying that the next would be a little better.......

1 comment:

Mama of two ~ said...

Sweet, sweet boy! As a mom, this totally moved me.. I was choked up reading and looking at the photos... I am so happy that all went well! The ups and downs we go through being a mom.